Nail Polish Trivia: 20 amazing facts about nail polish!
December 1, 2017 By
Nail polish is the amazing product we use when we feel like painting our nails! Let’s see some interesting facts and trivia about nail polish!
1. Nail polish was born in China around 3000 BC!
2. With nail polish we can paint both our fingernails and toenails!
3. There are millions of nail polish varieties!
4. There are countless colors we can choose from!
5. Around 600 BC, the royal house preferred the colors gold and silver.
6. Nail polish was made from a mixture that contained bees-wax, egg whites, gelatin, vegetable dyes and gum arabic.
7. It is also known as nail varnish or lacquer!
8. In Egypt, high society painted their nails with henna!
9. There are several types of nail polish!
10. The base coat which is applied before the colored lacquer, in order to protect, hydrate and harden the surface of our nails.
11. Next is the colored lacquer. A simple nail polish that dries naturally.
12. There’s also Gel which offers a long-lasting shiny result and dries under an ultraviolet lamp or ultraviolet LED, can be harder to remove, and should better be removed by a professional! Careful there you might lose a nail.
13. You can also dye your nails with a Matte nail polish. It is similar to the regular nail polish but has a matte finish.
14. Another choice is Shellac. Shellac is a type of nail polish similar to Gel but can last up to two weeks.
15. French Manicure was established during the eighteenth-century in Paris, and is the most popular choice even today! It is simple, beautiful and chic!
16. Everyone should be aware that in order for nail polish to be produced lots and lots and lots of chemical ingredients are used, so let’s have in mind of how many times we expose ourselves to the risk of those chemicals.
17. Last but not least is the top coat lacquer! It is a transparent liquid polish, that is used to protect the color we painted our nails, and it adds on a shine!
18. The primary ingredient in nail polish is nitrocellulose cotton, it was originally known as guncotton, and it was used as a propellant or low-order explosive!!!
19. Regular nail polish is easily removed with acetone.
20. Although nail polish should be used carefully, because of its chemical consistency, people have been safely using it throughout the years.
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @UselessDaily on Twitter